Monday, May 25, 2009

Weekend work brings Hood Canal Bridge reopening closer

While most people were playing during the holiday weekend, Hood Canal Bridge construction crews were working hard. I had move fast all day to keep up. The crews teased me about my new "employee wellness program" as I trooped up and down stairs, out and back the bridge twice to see both roadway span sets and clear down 3/4 of a mile to the center of the bridge. My only break time was "riding" the draw span out as the team pressed the east and west ends together for the first time.

The last hike from the draw span was certainly worth the effort. I stood under the new east truss and looked down the bridge - a bridge without big gaps - stretching from Kitsap to Jefferson County.

The bridge can support worker foot traffic (a few short hops still required), but it is not ready for the public to use by foot or by car. But, accomplishing several milestones this weekend did move the scheduled bridge reopening closer by three days, possibly as early as June 5.

9 comments:

Michael R. Bednarz said...

I bet on June 1st all along, and I am sticking with it :) MUSH, MUSH!(Cracks his whip)

All kidding aside, you guys are to be commended for the great pace and organized skill of this project. Kudo's also for the excellent use of the internet and new communication technologies to keep us aprised, aware and moving.

This is one anxious Quilbilly ready to roll across the Canal again.

whatever said...

You all are doing a wonderful job. It been great watching the progress. The PR is terrific. We're ready to do a test drive as soon as we can. Thanks again. Connie Case

Anonymous said...

Please, June 1st would be fab! My poor husband in Firefighter academy, makes the trek to North Kitsap 3 days a week, and the commute is brutal.

Anonymous said...

GOOD JOB!!! So looking forward to checking out the "new bridge" and getting back over for a Sequim day trip.

Anonymous said...

Thank you's to the crew working on the bridge and to those updating the website. A special thanks to the good weekend weather for allowing the bridge to (hopefully) open sooner.
A close member of my family died this last weekend and they are holding off on the memorial till the bridge reopens as most of us use that route to get to Sequim. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I have said from the beginning the opening date would be June 3. Any bets!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great! I am counting down the days so I can move back to Marysville! just waiting on the re-opening =) great job to all the engineers and workers making this successful and putting things ahead of schedule!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the bridge to re-open!! I live in PT and miss the mall and the Silver City Brewery! Great work, you guys!

Anonymous said...

Great great job thanks to all