Thursday, June 4, 2009

Celebrating a world-class accomplishment

By now thousands of drivers are getting back into something they surely missed dearly May 1-June 3 -- their routines.

The daily commute to and from the Olympic Peninsula is suddenly a one-car affair. Much easier than a car-bus-water-shuttle-bus-possibly-another-car-and-maybe-even-a-ferry-ride affair. Much easier.

As if that isn't enough cause to celebrate, you've also got a new Hood Canal Bridge that'll last the next 75 years. The people who put this floating marvel together and those who helped everyone get around during the bridge closure are throwing a party Saturday, June 6 and you're on the invite list.

We'll have a variety of events and venues that will showcase the unique food, maritime flavor, arts and music and outdoor activities that are easily reached by crossing the Hood Canal Bridge.

The beauty of the celebration is that it's actually two (count them two) parties that span Kitsap and Jefferson counties.

Ribbon Cutting Event
Time: 11 a.m.
Place: Salsbury Point County Park
3160 NW Wheeler Street off SR 3
(Just north of the bridge’s east end in Kitsap County)

The official ribbon cutting ceremony will recognize community leaders, the bridge contractor, welcome elected officials from the area, with appreciation extended to all who helped. The Chimacum High School Band will provide music. Please RSVP for this event at 253-305-6400.

Bridge Opening Bash
Time: Noon to 8 p.m.
Place: Port Townsend

Port Townsend will host a party -- and this is a town that knows how to throw a shindig -- to celebrate the completion of the Hood Canal Bridge project. PT welcomes everyone on Saturday, June 6 with free outdoor music, food and special events.

For more information, visit www.EnjoyPT.com

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Bridge is just wonderful, best commute I've had yet.........Thanks again to one and all for a wonderful job well done. I too will miss this blog, it's a shame we can't just keep it going.

Anonymous said...

You guys ROCK!!!! I can't wait to head home Friday night and cross the bridge :) I'll try to hold off the happy dance until I get to the other side so I don't hold up traffic, but I'll most certainly be smiling all the way!! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Nice bridge! Not only is it newer, but straight! And I love the wide shoulders.

Thank you thank you.

Anonymous said...

Please don't get me wrong I am really happy the bridge is open again, but has anyone noticed how rough the ride is on the new section? It reminds me of areas of I-5 that throw your car up and down at every concrete joint.

Anonymous said...

The new bridge does feel different. What I noticed most is when I went the 40 mph speed limit, it was indeed a nice, smooth ride. Of course I figured that out my second time across since the first trip...well...um...you know...let's just say I was anxious to take that first trip across...

-Becky Hixson

irwinj@wsdot.wa.gov said...

The new bridge does feel different. What I noticed most is when I went the 40 mph speed limit, it was indeed a nice, smooth ride. Of course I figured that out my second time across since the first trip...well...um...you know...let's just say I was anxious to take that first trip across...

-Becky Hixson

Anonymous said...

I just want to say how much I appreciate the open, honest and frequent communication from the people working on this project. It should be held up as an example to other government agencies big and small. This blog has been great, as have all the pictures posted on Flickr.

Corey, Port Ludlow said...

With the new bridge you can experience wave action just like when the water taxi's were active! Is there a reason a brand-new multi-bajillion bridge has a rougher surface than the water under it?

Wayne said...

The ride at the speed limit on the new bridge doesn't seem so much bumpy as wavy. It’s a lot smoother than some of the boat rides were though, so I’m not complaining.

Also, someone else asked this but I never saw and answer. Have there been operational standards set that say whether the bridge draw span still needs to be opened above a specific wind speed to relieve the strain, and if so, do you know what that speed is? It will help to know that this winter for trip planning.

By the way, great job to all with the construction, the alternate transportation and the information flow.

irwinj@wsdot.wa.gov said...

Hello all,

Same wind standards -- 35 mph for 15 minutes or more and we open the spans.

The new bridge is vastly improved, but in order to make sure it stays that way, we still need to bow out when Mother Nature throws a fit.

Anonymous said...

The new bridge is nice to have and I love having it open again but no matter what the speed it is a rough ride in my SUV.

Every joint has a good solid bump with a wavy ride between the joints.

Anonymous said...

I'm fairly disappointed in the surface. It seems like every section has a bulge that causes a wavy ride. They need to upgrade quality control on any pontoons made in the future. It's really a shame to go to all that expense and have something like this mar the final product.