Working with freight haulers and communities, we are taking extra steps to help make certain the peninsula stays open for business. We recognize that delivering goods and services will be challenging during the six-week closure, so we are working with the freight community on strategies to improve coordination and communication.
We don’t want anyone to be surprised by the bridge closure, and we’re encouraging everyone we contact to get ready. Projects, plans and potential strategies we’re undertaking to improve freight mobility during the closure include:
- WSF Sunday-Thursday twilight service between Edmonds and Port Townsend
- Water shuttle between South Point in Jefferson County and Lofall in Kitsap County to help decrease car traffic on US 101
- Highway improvement projects on US 101, SR 3 and SR 106 enhance safety and help keep traffic moving during the closure
- Remotely-controlled signal at SR 3/SR 16 to help keep traffic flowing
- Flagger stationed at US 101/SR 19 during peak commute times
- Increased patrols (WSP and WSDOT) on US 101
- Traffic updates multiple times each day, and a traffic alert system that will utilize cameras, signage, 511 traffic information, highway radio, text messaging, the media and other tools to reach the freight community
- Also, Kenmore Air Express is increasing flights between Seattle and Port Angeles
Drivers can check their routes before they by calling the project information line 1-877 595-4222, signing up for regular list serv e-mail updates and news releases, and providing the latest views of the highways via traffic cameras.Freight haulers who need more in-depth industry news can make sure their load is OK for the road by visiting the pages and sites below:
- WSDOT commercial vehicle road restrictions
- WSDOT bridge restrictions
- WSDOT commercial vehicle Web page
For more information on freight hauling resources during the closure, including helpful trucking resources and information on receiving WSDOT Freight e-mail alerts, visit the Trucking Information page at http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/sr104hoodcanalbridgeeast/.